9.27.2008

Every Blogger's Dilemma

When some of our family members and supporters have asked, "what in the world is a blog?" we usually describe it as "a public, online journal." I think that's a pretty good description. But depending on the day, that description can sound like a real contradiction in terms. A collection of public secrets. A list of private announcements.

So the question that I've been wondering lately is just how honest can we be on this thing? I mean, if people actually read this stuff, maybe we should be careful about what we blog about. How honest can I (Chip) really be about my wacked-out theological musings? Some of our supporters read this thing. How honest can we really be about our frustrations at work? Some of our co-workers and customers read this thing. How honest can we really be about the way our organization operates? Work supervisors and students read this thing. Is honesty really the best policy? It's gotten good men killed. I suppose it got the Best Man crucified.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

If you want the freedom, you should do another blog. :) My friend did that when he was going through something that he didn't want everyone on his blog to know about. So he started another blog for just a few people. You could do the same! Hope all is going with you and Chelsea!

Jeannie said...

Hi Chip! I can only guess you were having a very thoughtful day for you to post this. I would love to hear your whacko theological ideas. I am sure others thought their ideas were whacko until they became mainstream. Work? That is another story....send email. I will be happy to listen and give management suggestions. We all love you and I am sure there are going to be days or moments when living in a foreign country will challenge you, open your eyes to new thoughts, or just wish you were back here in the States. Be patient and all will be well. Feel free to post some of those thoughts -- it keeps us all grounded.

Anonymous said...

Hey, buddy. You can come write on my blog anytime. I have no one to impress or cater to. Admittedly it is hard to hang it out there and let the pieces land where they may, but I'm getting better at it. Use a pseudonym, stage-name or a trucker handle if you like. Everybody gets to rant once in awhile. It's good for us. God's a real no-show at times and then it is nice to have some commiserators as company. You're always a welcome voice and co-traveler.

-Corb