5.31.2008

Presenting the Gospel in Taiwanese Culture

During our recent trip, the students got a chance to walk around Longshan temple, Taipei's most famous temple, containing statues of both Buddhist and Taoist gods. We all prayed to our God as the hundreds of Taiwanese locals prayed to theirs. I'm constantly wondering how our prayers might be different from their prayers. Do they pray for the same things we pray for? I suppose, I'm constantly wondering IF our prayers are any different from their prayers.
In front of the statues, there are tables full of food that people have brought and offered to their gods. The gods are thought to eat and enjoy "the essence" of the food, even though the physicality of the food remains there on the table. When the worshiper is ready to leave the temple, he or she takes the food home and eats it or serves it to his or her family. (The Christians at Corinth struggled over this very issue--eating food sacrificed to idols. ) From what I understand, these food offerings are not really "thank offerings" (given out of gratitude for what the gods have already provided) as much as they are "please offerings" (given along with petitions for what the gods might provide in the future). Apparently, the gods are the ones who control good luck and prosperity as well as bad luck and bankruptcy. So its always a good idea to keep the gods happy with their favorite snack foods.
People of all walks of life go to Longshan to offer their prayers. Grandparents with their grandchildren, young couples on a date, businessmen on their lunch hour--everyone coming to ask the gods for good luck and success in this life. Not a lot of prayers for a good afterlife. Not a lot of prayers for salvation from sins. Not a lot of prayers of repentance, unless it is going to have an immediate effect on this life. In comparison, my faith in Jesus is not so practical. Its not very this-worldly. We don't really offer ourselves to Jesus because we think our lives will be healthier or wealthier as a result. And if a Longshan-worshipper were to ask me why I follow Jesus, my answers would probably sound very abstract and uninteresting in their ears. I doubt it would scratch where they are itching. My story wouldn't really answer the questions they're asking. Does the gospel message intend to answer the questions that the typical Longshan-worshipper is already asking?--"How can my life be more complete?" Or does the Longshan-worshipper first need to be taught to ask different questions before the gospel can really connect to their lives?

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

I have wondered too if people of other religions consciously pray for the same things we do. I would imagine that some things are the same like health for a sick loved one or safe travels. I doubt though that they pray for salvation or understand the grace that Jesus gives us. What strikes me though is that they openly pray in public and even business men stop to take the time to pray. I wonder what impact Christians would have if we stopped in our busy lives and gathered in public places to pray like the Taiwanese do......

Aunt Jeannie

Jeannie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

C&C,
Do you know your Taiwanese contact information yet? Would you be able to post it online so friends could send you things? You may not want to, for security reasons, but it would be kinda fun otherwise. Keep us posted. Ha! Get it? Posted.
Ok, I'm done.
-Corb